Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wordy Wednesday: OF CABBAGES & TURTLES




Continuing my week of Random Acts of Publicity with a shout-out for the delightful David Elliott's Jeremy Cabbage and the Living Museum of Human Oddballs and Quadruped Delights--a wonderful middle-grade Orphan-Annie-meets-A-Series-of-Unfortunate-Events adventure that I discovered at my very favorite NH indie bookstore Main Street Bookends.  Now, in all honesty, I've never met David but have heard such wonderful things about his work in the writing community--especially his involvement creating the Warner NH Historical Society's Tory Hill Reader Series.  Which brings me to a NH author I have met several times (and one of my fourth-graders great idol's), the inimitable MacArthur Fellow and National Book Award Nominee David Carroll whose Self-Portrait with Turtles is a gorgeously illustrated must-read for nature-loving, art-inclined children of all ages.  A trip to his art studio is an absolute must when my family visits New Hampshire and, if we're lucky enough to catch David there, we leave serene and inspired.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have family in NH and it was so nice to see your brief review on David Carroll and his link. More books for my TBR list. ;)