Monday, January 10, 2011

Back-to-Business Monday: MAKING IT OFFICIAL

So here's my ready-get-set 2011 Debut Author Challenge reading list along with the occasional note on my choices.  I plan to read many more 2k11 debuts but I'm starting here...

January:
- XVI by Julia Karr (I LOVE this cover)
February:
- LEVERAGE by Joshua Cohen (fascinated by teen athletes and artist who live extreme lives)
March:
- LIAR SOCIETY by Lisa & Laura Roecker (if you don't follow Lisa & Laura Write you're missing a lot of humorous insight into the (writing) life
- WITHER by Lauren DeStefano (gorgeous cover, great buzz, super-cool premise)
- TEN MILES PAST NORMAL by Frances O'Roark Dowell (wonderful MG author of DOVEY COE--can't wait to read her YA)
- BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY by Ruta Sepetys (since reading THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK as a kid, I've found this period in history fascinating--looking forward to a good dose of historical fiction)
April:
- THIS GIRL IS DIFFERENT by J.J. Johnson (intrigued by premise of home-schooled teen venturing into the world of high school for her senior year--author has a very interesting profile, too)
- BUMPED Megan McCafferty (jazzed to read a YA from this adult author)
May:
- HOURGLASS by Myra McEntyre
- FLUTTER by Erin E. Moulton
June:
- POSESSION by Elana Johnson (an inspiring blogger, a spectacular cover and a plot about LOVE + MIND CONTROL = can't wait!)
- PAPER COVERS ROCK by Jenny Hubbard (love prep school stories--also, interesting to see a photo of a guy with no girl on the cover)
July:
- BAD TASTE IN BOYS by Carrie Harris (not sure what's most amazing: grab-you title, sugar-kissed cover, amazing buzz)
- LOST VOICES by Sarah Porter (mermaids and mayhem...ooh!)
- FALLING FOR HAMLET by Michelle Ray (contemporary interpretation of the Shakespeare classic told from the POV of Hamlet's misunderstood girlfriend, Ophelia. Seriously, this is my kind of read!)
August:
- THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab (sounds like a fairy tale taken on a wild literary ride)
- DARK PARTIES by Sara Grant (super-intriguing dystopian premise)
- EPIC FAIL by Claire LaZebnik (a romance with THAT title? I'm intrigued...)
September:
- BROKEN WINGS (working title) by Helen Landalf (a contemporary YA set in the PacNW--been waiting to read this for ages)
- THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin (starting over after trauma and loss with a bit of psychic mystery)
October:
- Okay, obviously I've already read my own book but, just mentioning, AUDITION pubs in October!
- VIRTUOSITY by Jessica Martinez (about a young violinist--think it would be a cool read alongside my own book about a dancer)
November:
- DARK INSIDE by Jeyn Roberts
December:
- FETCHING by Kiera Stewart

Have I missed something amazing?  LET ME KNOW (even if you're the author) because I'd love to read some more...

12 comments:

Kristi said...

I have a BUNCH of these on my list too! I can't wait!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I love seeing these lists unfold! When's your release date, by the way?

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This is such a great year for debut novels! I can't wait! :-)

Stasia said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kristi, Caroline & Shannon. I agree, these debut lists are such fun (exciting, too)! Still waiting on an exact release date for AUDITION, Caroline. Should know soon. Happy Monday, all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting my book on your list, Stasia! I should tell you that the release date is now December 19th, 2011. The new title will be announced soon!

Dawn Simon said...

What an awesome list! So many great reads! Congrats to all the writers who have a 2011 debut novel! :)

Patti said...

Great list. So many great books to read this year. I better finish up on the 2010's.

Stasia said...

Thanks for the update, Helen. Can't wait to find out the new title!

Hope you're writing's going well, Dawn.

Thanks for the follow, Patti. Good luck with your 2010 books--I've still got a pile of those, too, but I guess I'm reading in both directions :)

Myra McEntire said...

Stasia - Thank you so much for adding HOURGLASS! HEE!

Stasia said...

Hi Myra! Can't wait to read your book. And thanks for the follow!

MH said...

OMG, SO COOL seeing THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER on your list! YAY!

Stasia said...

Looking forward to reading it, Michelle! Thanks for dropping by.