Monday, June 20, 2011

Back to Business: A VISIT TO MY LOCAL LIBRARY

I love my local library.  It's neither huge, nor fancy, but the librarians are delightful and the place is always humming with kids and adults.  There's this wonderful sculpture of a bronze frog sitting on a carved wooden book in the children's section.  By the teen shelves is a black-and-white egg chair (very Star Trek) in which my kids always want to sit.  I've brought toddlers to storytime there, culled the biography and science shelves for myriad school projects, and frequently visit the YA section to see what's new. A trip to this library always brightens my day. Like many writers, I guess the library is just a place that feels like home to me.

Last week, I made an appointment with the super-sweet Children & Teen's Librarian, Pam, to talk about offering a writing workshop for teens this summer.  We had a fantastic chat and I'm on the August calendar.  So exciting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish my local library was like this! There is a large library in a city about an hour away. I've been told it's several stories and the YA section has glass floors. I've never been there though. ): Congrats on being able to teach a writing workshop!