Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bookanistas: DARK COMPANION by Marta Acosta

Plot without spoilers...Trauma and loss marked Jane Williams' early years and life as a foster child. Then, she receives a scholarship to Birch Grove Academy for Girls--it's her ticket out of poverty and she'd be a fool not to take it. But, perhaps Birch Grove wants Jane to give something in return.

Of literary interest...This is a wonderfully dark, twisty gothic novel that makes reference to its own literary history with quotations from classic gothic works as the entry point for each chapter. The author's exploration of names and nicknames, words and their definitions is used as both an engaging literary device and an element in the unraveling of one of Birch Grove's mysteries.

Finally, just gotta say...I am not a particular fan of gothic or supernatural tales but this book hooked me. At first, I was drawn in by the wonderful literary quotations and the author's obvious deep knowledge of the gothic novel genre. But then, her surprising and different take on the supernatural got its claws into me and I found myself delving into the story. I don't want to give away the plot but the author has a fresh and original take on some popular paranormal beings that'll keep you thinking long after you've read the final chapter.

For more Bookanista scares and delights this week, click along...

Christine Fonseca takes a shine to A MILLION SUNS

Carolina Valdez Miller falls for FRACTURE
Jen Hayley surrenders to THE NIGHT SHE DISAPPEARED
Nikki Katz wonders at THE FAULT IN OUR STARS
Debra Driza is overwhelmed by UNDER THE NEVER SKY
Jessica Love gives a trophy to BEAUTY QUEENS
Shelli Johannes-Wells takes you on a tour of The Reading Room
Tracy Banghart has double-love for THE SILVER PHOENIX and FURY OF THE PHOENIX
Hilary Wagner is in the grips of THE GATHERING STORM

3 comments:

JenWriter said...

I looooove gothic stories. Definitely have to pick this one up now!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

"a fresh and original take on some popular paranormal beings that'll keep you thinking long after you've read the final chapter" <--That won me over! Great review, Stasia. I'm also intrigued by the literary nature of it. I'll be sure to pick it up.

tracythewriter said...

I hadn't heard of this book but I'll be looking for it now! It sounds really intriguing. I love the combo of gothic and literary. Thanks for the great review!