Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Today is WORLD READ-ALOUD DAY

Since I have four sons, I've spent a lot of time reading aloud and think fondly of some favorite early books: THE OX CART MAN by Donald Hall, THE LORAX by Dr. Seuss, BIG BOB'S TRAILER TRUCK by Joe Mathieu, KATY AND THE BIG SNOW by Virginia Lee Burton, OLD TURTLE by Jon Muth, FROG & TOAD by Arnold Lobel.  As the kids got a bit older, I had the great pleasure of sharing my favorite longer books, reading multiple chapters every night.  We read through Laura Ingalls Wilder's FARMER BOY, Noel Streatfeild's THEATER SHOES and the first few Harry Potters.

Now, at the end of the day, I have the enormous pleasure of watching my eleven-year-old read one of his favorites, Roald Dahl's MATILDA, to my five-year-old. They've got quite a ritual involving 5-yo procuring a blanket and stuffed animal, 11-yo turning on the light, opening to the bookmarked page, discussing where they left off, and then reading until I finally tell the little guy he's got to quit to go to sleep. The whole thing is, well, magical. So, I guess I'm just saying that my household is living proof in the power of reading to connect people, to build community, and to grow readers.


Check out LITWORLD's blog and their great cause of world literacy.  Then read aloud to someone today!

No comments: